Monday 21 February 2011

Assignment C

For our third assignment we were required to take one of last week's treatments and re-write it. As I very much disliked my fictional treatment, I chose that piece to re-write. For the piece I simply took the original true story and it's main points (head op, wires on brain, hospital) and made up some strange story. The only missing part is the mention of epilepsy.

I quite enjoyed this one as I felt very free to make up some story which meant although I had to keep the main points listed above I could make it as crazy as I liked.

So, without further ado, here it is:

--------------------------

I had no idea what to expect. I didn’t know the process, the time it would take, what it was for or if it would even be successful. I knew I was going to have a head operation but that was it. I was excited, though, but that may have just been the high dosage of morphine they had me on.

I sat on the hospital bed, with it’s crisp white sheets and hard mattress, waiting for the nurse to come into my room and roll me down to the theatre.

Finally, an hour later, the woman arrived in her pristinely ironed nurse’s uniform and started to wheel me towards the theatre. By the frown on her chubby face, she really wasn’t someone I’d want to fuck with.

I managed a smile though and even worked up the nerve to ask her if the op could be filmed. Rather than reply, she arched her thick eyebrows inwards and gave me a look as if to say “What is wrong with you?”

My mum just told me to calm down as we entered a cold small room.

The nurse reached for a long, thick syringe, filled with a clear liquid and asked “You ready?” I nodded and without warning, she pushed the needle into my arm and I soon fell asleep.

An unknown number of hours later, I awoke in a small, cold and empty room with stone floors, surrounded by bleeping machines and wires which trailed into my head.

The nurse soon entered the room, followed by my mum and slowly said “It has begun”.

-------------------------

Hopefully the sentence structure makes sense. If it doesn't, it's the fault of the word processor and having to use double spaced writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment