Monday 10 January 2011

Beckton/UEL publication submission (non-academic)

This is a piece of writing I submitted for a new site about to pop up called ldmimpact.co.uk. It is a detailed review/information piece about the area I'm currently living in which is Beckton and UEL. Hopefully, if it's good enough, it'll be considered for online publication. Fingers crossed.

------------------------

Beckton, a place of Asda, retail parks and an academic arena known as The University of East London, Docklands. Being a student and resident of the aforementioned university, I have the pleasure, and sometimes displeasure, of the looks, sounds, smells and weather of this small area.

As I look out of my bedroom window on the second floor of Redbridge House, also known as the Yellow Building, I can see a big green building of the same size covered in windows. We call this place Shepherd House.

If I look to my right on the other hand, I can see the flowing water of the docks and a feeble, leafless tree being attacked by the high winds of January.

Beyond the docks is the London City Airport. Some might consider it a noisy place, especially when the planes start up their engines at seven in the morning. I, however, am used to the roaring of those flying machines. Due to this “skill”, I can continue my daily doings (I would say routine but what student has one of those?) and even sleep through the roar.

We then have the path beside the buildings which often smells of illicit substances and has kids riding their bikes up and down. If you’re lucky you might get involved in a 2am snowball war.

Outside of campus is the Docklands Light Railway, commonly known as the DLR or Cyprus. Outside of that there is very little of interest other than the community centre which many of us believe teaches the skill of graffiti and beyond (if anyone can confirm this, please get in touch) and a chemist. However, we can’t forget the newsagent’s slash off-license which provides us poor students with the pleasurable park bench cider and Polish beers.

Those who are fans of the smell of eggs will be glad to know that by standing outside of Templars, aka party, house you can have yourself a nice whiff of said smell. Those who aren’t fans of such should prepare themselves. I find a scarf does the job just fine.

Some people seem to be slightly unwise in these buildings as, at this moment in time, I can see through many windows, although unfortunately, nothing interesting is happening. If we’re lucky though, the view directly opposite from the kitchen shows another kitchen. I’ve found in the past that owners of the other kitchen are fans of three males dancing at the window.

When it comes to tenants in this place I often have the pleasure of catching my flatmate attempting to sing ‘Arabian Nights’ in its original language. From the repetitive wording, I’d say he is unsuccessful in that department. Keep to your sports, Tino, singing doesn’t suit you.

Would I recommend this are as a place to live? Yes and no, depending on what you’re looking for. If you wish to live in an uneventful place, seemingly in the middle of nowhere but with three retail parks nearby, Beckton is your place. If you wish to live in a lively area, keep well away.

---------------------------------

That's it for the first piece of writing. I've also contacted another person in regards to some writing but so far he hasn't replied.

From this point on I'm going to start sending out pieces for publication in the hopes that I can get some work further than the assignment submissions office.

I'll post up when I get notice of whether it is due for publication or not :)

No comments:

Post a Comment