Friday 11 March 2011

Persistence Pays Off

As some of you know, I've been looking for a paid writing job for quite some time and not been having much luck. Until the last couple of days. The story is below:

----------------

As of late, I have been without money (by which I mean £35 overdrawn, no income and living off of dry pasta and tap water - ah, student life) and have therefore been required to browse Gumtree looking for writing jobs which put some money in my pocket.

Although I enjoy doing freelance writing for nothing (which I’m doing with this article right now) I also have to feed myself, even if it’s with pocket money. However, to succeed in this I have spent hours at a time on the aforementioned website replying to ads which I feel I’d be able to write about and earn enough money to buy a tin of beans and some bread. This is where persistence comes in.

I spent my evenings replying to ads with a lengthy email which would include descriptions of my capabilities, what I’m willing to do or write about (which was just about anything) with an added link to my blogs at the bottom for some samples of my writing.

A few times this worked and I’d get the odd job here and there but recently I was having an extremely dry run. Until the evening of the 11th of March, that is. There I was, sat on a forum and Facebook, daydreaming of having a walk around London when ’Sunshine of Your Love’ suddenly started playing out of my mobile beside me. When I checked who it was, it was just a UK number which I didn’t recognise. I answered anyway.

After a 20 minute conversation/interview which involved questions about what I’d be writing about, am I interested in journalism and about possibly becoming a teacher I was told I’d receive a call in approximately two weeks confirming whether I’d got the position or not. Hanging up, I felt extremely optimistic as the interview seemed to go well, emails had been positive and I felt that I’d answered the questions well and with a verbal sign of confidence. This had to go on Facebook!

Do I think I’ve certainly got the job or do I keep an open mind and apply for the odd one here and there just to keep me on my toes? I’ll go for the latter myself but remain optimistic about the former.

It’s taken three months of blood, sweat and tears (Note to self: Stop exaggerating) but I‘m there (almost).

Moral of the story? Should you be turned down for one job, don’t think that’s the end, just keep applying and you’ll get there in the end.

And remember these three words: Persistence pays off.

----------------

No comments:

Post a Comment